Sunday, May 21, 2006

Signs of Life



Our house has now been on the market for a week. For the past seven days complete strangers have been letting themselves in the front door, trapsing through our home, and presumably making comments like, "Uhg. What a terrible color to paint that room..." Here's the link--you can check it out yourself: http://www.homesdatabase.com/DC6051997

Prospective buyers have been walking through our house this week trying to decide if they might be able to live in our house. They have been trying to picture their sofa in our living room, their clothes in the closet, trying to imagine entertaining their family and friends in our dining room. And so we have been trying to keep the house neat and tidy, to help them be able to imagine themselves in this house and not get distracted by our stuff. The house, we were told, is supposed to look like no one lives there. And it's so strange.

The ironic thing is that I always thought that this is how I wanted my house to look. Marcus and I used to argue about this (until we hired a housecleaner to come twice a month and it saved our marriage--seriously). I love a clean house. I love to walk around barefoot and not have dog hair stick to my feet. I love it when the dust is gone, when the kitchen shines...But as it turns out, I also kind of like the signs of life that come with a messy house. You know, a drying rack on the counter of dishes that were washed the day before, mail on the dinner table, laundry baskets, toys and books on the floor. All the stuff that makes a house looks lived in, that makes a house a home. These days our house looks a bit sterile, generic--kinda like a hotel.

I hope someone makes us an offer soon. The house needs to look lived in again. And I'll try to remember this feeling next time I'm griping at Marcus to pick up the newspapers...

1 comment:

The Energy Coach said...

I recently discovered a book called, "The Velveteen Principles: A Guide to Becoming Real." It spoke about "The United States of Generica" and how so many of us deny who we are to fit in. I'm sure your house is beautiful and full of soul just like you.

Kimberly K.