Friday, November 30, 2007

Yet Another Reason I Love My Church Family

It's true--church families can be messy and frustrating at times. But there are also lots of reasons to love them. Here's one...

On Thursday night we had a worship planning meeting at my house because Marcus is travelling for work. My plan was to set up Nora with a DVD so that she would be occupied while we met (and maybe, just maybe, fall asleep). But I didn't want her to be all the way down in the basement family room where we keep the TV while we met upstairs, so I decided to move the TV to my room (a brilliant idea when you are 8+ months pregnant). So I get the TV upstairs and set it down on the bed so I can move stuff off the dresser, and just as I turn around it rolls off the bed and lands with a loud crash on the floor. Luckily there wasn't any broken glass and it didn't land on anyone's foot, but as I turned it over I heard the sickening sound of broken pieces inside. So now Nora is hysterical (because it scared the daylights out of both of us, and because she really wanted to watch TV) and it's 45 minutes before people are supposed to arrive for the meeting and I am wondering what the heck I am going to do. I decided to run up to the church and borrow the TV from the youth room (so I ended up hauling yet another TV down two flights of stairs like an idiot) and I got it home and set up before everyone came over and Nora was completely happy, but I was frazzled.

After the meeting I shared this story with a couple of people, Randy and Rebecca, because I knew that I was going to have to tell Marcus when he called and I was dreading that. They were supportive and assured me that Marcus would be OK--which he was, mostly. The next day I told the story to one other person at church, Ed, who I thought might have an idea where I could get another used TV cheap. Ed said that he would be on the look out for me. Less than an hour later I got a call from Rebecca who told me that she and her husband were planning to buy a new TV this weekend anyway, and would I like to have their old one. Then this morning I got a call from yet another person, Jerry, who had talked to Ed and he had a TV that he wanted to bring over to me, which I gratefully declined. Then I told this story to Marie who said that if we still needed one, she had one we could have!

This is just one great example of the love that church people have for one another most of the time. If you need something--friendship, support, prayers, food, or even a TV--the church family is a good place to go because, in their hearts, people are kind, generous, and loving.

Thanks everybody!

No comments: