Friday, January 04, 2008

Maternity Leave


OK, so this isn't the most "spiritual" of posts...but here's what we're up to:

Today, after two weeks of having grandparents here visiting, Graham and I are spending a quiet day at home together. Nora is back at school (and I miss her already) and Marcus is back at work. Nana and Poppy should be getting on an airplane back to Memphis within the hour. And I am still in my pajamas! Graham is dressed, but needs his diaper changed again, and can't decide if he wants to take a nap or not.

The baby thing is certainly easier the second time around--we are much less anxious and used to be sleep deprived. Balancing the needs of an active three year old with a newborn is a different challenge, but so far we're doing OK. It has been great to have family here, but we are looking forward to getting back into a routine.

The biggest challenge for me is just to be in the moment--to enjoy these days with my baby and not try and do too much. I feel some "church withdrawl" and as I look around the house I am constantly making a list of things I need and want to do. But I remind myself that in seven short weeks I will be back to the church and I will long for lazy these mornings with Graham and evenings doing puzzles and reading books with Nora.

3 comments:

Erin said...

He's such a cutie Rachel! I pray you are able to just be in the moment!

Katherine Lewis said...

Congratulations, Rachel, Marcus and Nora!! Graham is just beautiful and I love the name. (Ava narrowly escaped being a Graham, by being born female.) We send you all our love.

Jim Somerville said...

This is a beautiful baby, Rachel! Good for you. Congratulations. Lots of love.