Sunday, August 06, 2006

Sports Hero?


http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2250052

Note to self: be careful who your positive examples are in any and all sermons. And be extra cautious when using examples from the world of sports.

A few weeks ago, in a sermon on strengths and weaknesses, (for which the text was 2 Corinthians 12:2-10) I talked about the then-favorite to win the Tour de France, American rider Floyd Landis. I had read a really good article about him in the paper that talked about his Mennonite background, how hard-working and disciplined he was, and what an all-around good guy he seemed to be. I was particularly impressed with this part:

Says Phonak team member Robert Hunter: "In many instances he hasn't been prepared to totally waste the team for his own benefit. . . . He's always thinking of the team's consideration before thinking of himself. Then that makes us say, 'Don't think about us.' " But there's an upside: "A lot of the time the guys end up sacrificing more for him." Still, Landis seems uncomfortable with aiming for his own achievement at the expense of his teammates.

I thought this was a really great illustration for the point I was trying to make--that sometimes the things that seem like weaknesses can sometimes be an opportunity for God to do great things. And sometimes what our culture defines as weakness (humility, sacrifice, service...) is actually where God can make us strong.

Now, in general I stay away from talking about sports in sermons for two reasons:

1) I basically think that our national obession with sports is ridiculous, a waste of time, and a terrible wast of money.

2) Barry Bonds, Kobe Bryant, OJ Simpson...do I need to go on?

But this guy seemed different. A selfless, team player, and a Christian (or at least raised as one). Well, things aren't as they seem I guess. Because last week Landis tested positive for doping and on Saturday it was announced that his second sample also came back positive.

I felt duped. And sad. I had bought the whole Floyd Landis package about him being the next Lance Armstrong and making us proud as a country because he was a great cyclist and a great person, too, but I guess he's just another competitive athlete who will do anything to win, even if it means cheating. He still denys that he did anything illegal, but even if he is able to prove his innocence, his career is over.

And I felt foolish for ever bringing his name into a sermon as an example of someone we might want to look up to.

Upon further reflection, however, I think that the message still stands. In fact, maybe Floyd Landis is an even better example now. You see, when we allow God to enter into our weakness, God's power can be seen more clearly, and the more we try and use our own power to achieve success or glory, the more humbling it will be when we fail. (Particularly if we are in the international limelight when it happens.) People are essentially human--we mess up and let each other down and make mistakes and look foolish. And that's where God comes in. God makes us stronger in our weaknesses, and sometimes humbles us so we can remember the source of our strength, the purpose of our being. And that's equally true whether we are cyclists or preachers.


1 comment:

Will said...

== Email to REV. RACHEL CORNWELL==
Hi Rachel

It look like your happy in your new church. I hope every thing going well. I doing well. I became a associate member with the First Baptist Church... I had some fun this summer. I had some small summer group this summer. Calvary had sermon. First Baptist has movie night on the lot. I been setting up their chairs and more an going home to get ready for work. I looking forward to back to the future on the 24 of this month I finally get to see alaway throw a movie plus I'm taking to week off from work. bible study at First Baptist doing great. Something like the bible is and eye opener. I saw Amy was at your church yesterday. I was at my First Baptist yesterday. I hope I can see you soon. Your a very nice lady and a very good pastor. Plus I'm doing a memory book of Calvary and First Baptist it going to be good. Just three more week until I closeout for my first year at Calvary. First Baptist will closeout on Feb 14 of next year. Plus I hope I can show you a year in review in CBC and FBC... There more I don't what to take to much of your time.

You're Firend
Will