Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Be Quiet

Tonight, after the rain, could you hear the crickets? It was so beautiful. We turned off the A/C, and opened a few windows. Nora was asleep and Marcus had gone to the grocery store. I finished the dinner dishes and made some phone calls. Then I lit a couple of candles and just sat and listened to the crickets.



I don't do that enough. I mean, who really has time most days to just sit around and enjoy the sounds, the smells?

Be still, the voice says, and know that I am God.
But it's the being still part that's so hard for me.
I sit down and immediately all I can think of ten things that I should be doing.

In our staff meeting yesterday, I shared this poem called Let it Heal by Ruth Foreman.
It begins...

Listen to the song and let it tell you how
be quiet be quiet be still
let the angels put their hands on where it hurts and
smooth be quiet be still
ask for prayers around you and bathe in song
be quiet be quiet be still
sit in children's laughter twice a day
be quiet be quiet be still
leave your thoughts for another time
wrap yourself in daylight
knit yourself a friend tighter than you imagined
let good people close to you
move away from those that suck from you
be safe be quiet be still

Be quiet. Be still.
Be still and know that I am God.
Tonight, after the rain, could you hear the crickets?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel! Since when have you blogged? Since Jan at least (as I see from your archives). Well, what a treasure I have found! I found the link on the Woodside web site. I was looking up Woodside because Megan and I are going to visit this coming Sunday. I'm so looking forward to seeing you and Marcus and Nora! In the poem...I love the image of "let angels put their hands on what hurts"...I will try that imagery on my aches and pains. See you soon!
June (Baldwin)

Anonymous said...

Ed Weber(sunflowerss71aol.com)

I'm sorry I missed the openning night.My plans were changed at the last minute.

As I reflect on 9/11. I continue to wonder why we feel that such a tradgey could have never have happened here. As you travel the globe this is a reality for many people. Something you somehow learn to live with.I would hope
that we not only remember and morn
those who are forever affected by 9/11, but that we also remember our neighbors around the world who
continue to struggle with senseless violence.