Thursday, September 14, 2006

(Last) Monday @ Mayorga


I always feel a little nervous starting a new thing. I wonder: will people come? and what might happen when they do? will people connect with each other? will they learn, be challenged, have fun?

Well, what a relief it was this past Monday, when we started our monthly coffee & conversation group Mondays @ Mayorga, and it was great. There was a really neat group of 14 people who came, including long time members of the church as well as newer people (even one woman whose first Sunday was last Sunday--that was really cool!). Because it was September 11th, we talked about our memories of that fateful day five years ago and how our lives and perspectives have changed since. There was some very powerful sharing that happened, and one person said that she thought that being away from the church allowed people to talk about things that people don't talk about at church where they may feel more guarded.

So if you missed it, here is the meditation that we used for our first Mondays @ Mayorga. Feel free to post your thoughts below and keep the conversation going. And come join us again on October 9th at 8:00 PM.

Where were you/what are your memories from September 11th, 2001?

How would you finish the sentence: “After (or since) September 11th…”?

September 11, 2006 Meditation by Rev. Vicky Starnes

Psalm 27:1-10, 13-14

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to devour my flesh—my adversaries and foes—they shall stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident. One thing I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple. For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock. Now my head is lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the LORD. Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me! “Come,” my heart says, “seek his face!” Your face, LORD, do I seek. Do not hide your face from me. Do not turn your servant away in anger, you who have been my help. Do not cast me off, do not forsake me, O God of my salvation! If my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will take me up. I believe that I shall see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD!

Pondering and meditating: On this anniversary of September 11th, what words from the psalmist bring us comfort and hope years after the tragic events of 2001? What does God desire of us now?

Prayer: Loving God, we remember those who died on this day five years ago. Send comfort and hope to their families and to all of us, as we strive to be your people. Amen.

Recommended Reading:

September 11: An Oral History by Dean Murphy

What Will You Do for Peace? Impact of 9/11 on New York City Youth by Faith Ringgold

The Culture of Fear: Why Americans are Afraid of the Wrong Things by Barry Glassner

4 comments:

anonymous jones said...

Hi! I read someone's blog where they reckoned people should not be called heroes just because they died in an unfortunate way (e.g. the twin towers). This made me think this thought: is America making these people into martyrs? And if so, martyrs to what? Has the USA itself become an idol to some of its citizens? Hmm. Dunno. I wonder if it would have happened if Gore had been pres.

Amy said...

Good for you, Rachel. I am so glad.

A

Anonymous said...

Rev. Rachel, i read your blog today out of pure curiousity. I heard from lindsay about your cofee and convo at the coffee place...i was quite excited. I believe your next meeting is during a time when i will be home for a short fall break, I'd luv to come if that is possible. Additionally, i couldn't think of a better verse then psalm 27 to sum up my feelings about sept. 11...i luv the passage and it has been the way i have lived my life for years now. Thanks for all you do and I will continue to keep in touch

revrachel said...

Chris, So good to hear from you! How are classes going? Of course, we would love to have you at the next Mondays @ Mayorga when you are home. Having you there would double our male presence from last time!

Keep the faith.